about craft cook sweat style travel contact

DIY Ribbon Wands

Now that all of the big stuff is booked for my wedding, it's time to focus on all of those little details. My venue doesn't allow any type of confetti or flower petals, so I made ribbon wands for my flower girls. Who didn't like ribbon dancers as a little girl? For my two flower girls, this project only took a whopping 20 minutes and cost $15.. THE easiest project I've ever done.

Materials:
  • 4 rolls of satin ribbon *I used various widths for variety [Joann Fabrics - 3/8" and 5/8"]
  • 1/2 inch x 48 inch wooden dowel [Home Depot]
  • Hot glue gun
  • Candle
Step 1: Unravel all of your ribbon. Fold to find your middle point, and cut in half with scissors. Repeat for both pieces, so you now have a total of four strands of ribbon in each color.

Step 2: If you didn't have your handy dandy Home Depot guy cut your wooden dowel in half for you, use a hand saw to cut it in half.

Step 3: Mark one end of your dowel at 3/4". Use your hot glue gun to attach your ribbon vertically at your 3/4" point. Don't be afraid to overlap, and don't worry if your glue starts getting messy. I used a total of 8 strands per ribbon wand.


Step 4: Your ribbon wand will be VERY long. Since the girls are only 4 years old, I shortened the ribbon to about 28-30" in length. Carefully use your scissors to cut to desired length. I mixed mine up so they were not all even. 

Step 5: Take a leftover piece of ribbon and hot glue it horizontally around your wand. This will cover up any mess you've made, and create a clean look.


Step 6: So your ribbon edges do not fray, seal them using a lit candle. Carefully wave the ribbon back and forth until it starts to shrivel. Immediately remove and you will feel a hard, melted edge, and the edges are now sealed. Keep ribbon about 1" above the flame, and follow this process one strand at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment